About the scheme
The program provides free legal counseling to all foreigners residing in Korea who are not able to receive adequate legal services due to language barriers and lack of information
Who can receive free legal counseling?
- All foreigners residing in Korea
- All foreign residents can utilize the program regardless of sojourn status or illegal stay
- Newly naturalized foreigners who have difficulty speaking Korean can also utilize the program
How can foreign residents utilize this program?
'Immigration Contact Center (1345)' under the Ministry of Justice supports the counseling procedure
Counseling provided in 20 different languages (approximately 2.4 million counseling cases per year on issues related to sojourn and everyday life)
① Foreign resident requests for legal counseling via the Immigration Contact Center (1345)
- Foreign resident calls the Immigration Contact Center (1345 without area code), chooses a language, and requests for legal counseling
② Connects foreign resident to village lawyer for counseling
- Center operator connects foreigner directly to village lawyer or sets up a 3-way call system (among foreigner, operator, and village lawyer) depending on interpretation needs to provide legal counseling
What support can foreign residents receive?
Counseling on all legal issues is possible including issues foreign residents encounter on a daily basis such as lease agreement, industrial accidents, damages caused by crime, etc.
What is the objective of the program?
The program is expected to play a significant role in realizing legal welfare by providing free legal counseling on everyday legal issues to foreigners residing in Korea